MARI K. PERCZAK
|Attorney and Shareholder
Mari Perczak has twenty years of experience as a Colorado trial lawyer. Ms. Perczak has successfully handled many large construction defect cases for Colorado homeowners and homeowner associations. Hard-working and dedicated, Ms. Perczak has obtained many favorable verdicts and settlements. In 2009, Ms. Perczak and co-counsel Scott Sullan secured a $24.3 million settlement on behalf of a 320-unit Arapahoe County homeowners association involving foundation distress, water intrusion, and drainage defects, and a $12.5 million settlement on the third day of trial for an Aurora homeowner association involving 282 units with stone veneer, siding, window, and drainage defects. Also in 2009, Perczak and Sullan secured a $7.35 million settlement on behalf of a downtown homeowner association with 57 commercial and residential units involving defective courtyard podium slabs, leaking windows, and stucco defects. Between 2005 and 2009, Ms. Perczak and Mr. Sullan secured a $19.5 million settlement for a 56-unit southwest Denver homeowners association involving water intrusion through a poorly constructed building envelope and stucco facade, a $4 million settlement on behalf of a mixed-use downtown property development with moisture intrusion, mold, and EIFS defects, and a $2.5 million judgment following a jury verdict against a siding contractor. Ms. Perczak's experience and aggressive work also generated a $5.3 million settlement in a case involving structural framing defects and improper application of artificial stucco for a Denver homeowner association.
Ms. Perczak's practice focuses on representing homeowners and homeowner associations in construction defect and defective building products cases. Ms. Perczak has successfully resolved construction defect lawsuits involving:
- Structural failures and foundation movement
- Water intrusion and building envelope failures
- Cracking and improperly applied real and artificial stucco (EIFS)
- Improperly applied artificial stone veneer
- Roof leaks and failures
- Inadequate drainage
- Roadway failures
- Building product defects, including leaking windows
Ms. Perczak was born in Columbus, Ohio, in 1961. She moved to Colorado in 1966 and graduated magna cum laude from Colorado State University in 1983 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. She attended law school at the University of Denver while she clerked for two litigation law firms. She graduated near the top of her class in 1986 and began her trial practice at a distinguished Denver law firm.
Since 1997, Ms. Perczak's practice has centered on representing clients in complex construction defect cases. She has successfully resolved through settlement or trial more than a hundred cases. She also has handled many cases before the Colorado Court of Appeals and Colorado Supreme Court.
Ms. Perczak presents educational seminars to attorneys and property managers on issues relating to construction defect litigation, trials and evidence preservation. She has served on educational committees for the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Community Associations Institute (CAI) and was a nominee for CAI's board of directors.
Ms. Perczak was the U.S. Department of Energy's lead trial counsel in the condemnation action for the Standley Lake Protection Project. The trial, involving several land parcels, resulted in a verdict adopting the Department of Energy's valuation. Ms. Perczak also served as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Westminster in the early 1990s.
Ms. Perczak has earned the top rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, the nation's leading legal directory. The rating reflects a lawyer's expertise, competence, and adherence to ethical and professional responsibilities. Ms. Perczak is a member of the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations. Ms. Perczak is married with three children. Mari and her two daughters spend their free time competing in equestrian events.
Year Joined Organization:
- Construction Defect
- Products Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Colorado, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1986
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado, 1986
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 1983
B.A. (Political Science)
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- "Recovering 'Actual Damages' Under Colorado's Construction Defect Action Reform Act-Parts I and II," The Colorado Lawyer (co-authored with Ron Sandgrund and Leslie Tuft), vol. 38, nos. 5 and 6, 2009
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- "Colorado Residential Construction Law: 'Actual Damages' Recovery Update and Trends," Continuing Legal Education of Colorado, 2010
- "Recovering 'Actual Damages' Under Colorado's Construction Defect Action Reform Act," Continuing Legal Education of Colorado, 2008
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Chapter, Community Associations Institute
- Past Employment Positions:
- Mari K. Perczak, LLC, Shareholder (while with Mari K. Perczak, LLC, she frequently acted as Associated Counsel with Vanatta, Sullan, Sandgrund, Sullan & Smith PC), 2005-2007
- City of Westminster, Assistant City Attorney, 1994